Thursday, April 28, 2011

Hypertufa...bless you!

A couple years ago I was browsing through my Martha Stewart magazine pondering where in the world do houses actually look like that, when I came across something that peaked my interest.  I love various cement treatments on things (floors and countertops especially...but not at the same time), and there was a whole article on this thing called "hypertufa."  When I say it people aren't sure what to say, because they really don't know what I'm saying.

Tufa is a naturally occuring stone in nature that attracts moss and organically develops into this really cool thing.  Hypertufa is a man-made (read: fake) version of that naturally occurring stone, but it looks so awesome.  When I saw the article with actual instructions I thought to myself, "Self, you never make anything that you see in these magazines, but this looks like something you can conquer."  That little pep talk was enough to get me off my duff and out to Home Depot for the following supplies:  portland cement, peat moss, and perlite.  I figured, if I can get everything at one store, in one trip, with less than one paycheck I'm doing it, and the total was less than $30 for everything I needed to make more hypertufa than I would in a lifetime.

Once I had the supplies gathered it was time to get going.  I had the magazine article right next to me the whole time and surprisingly, the instructions were actually right on and I ended up with some awesome looking planters for some succulents.  There are so many resources out there on hypertufa, it's like this underground society that singlehandedly supports the portland cement industry.

Here are some more pictures of what I made including a link to my etsy store in case you don't have the time or energy to make them yourself (even though they're so easy and it's really rewarding to see one on your porch).  Hypertufa away!!

No comments:

Post a Comment